We can’t believe HowTo is over! Now it’s time to reflect on what we learned — and get ready for our next conference!
By Betsy Mikel (Editor, Women 2.0)
And that’s a wrap! We can’t believe these two whirlwind days are over. Thank you to everyone who joined us at our HowTo Conference in San Francisco these past two days, both in person and online. We couldn’t have done it without our amazing speakers, mentors, volunteers, attendees and staff!
One of the most amazing quotes we heard from one of the attendees was “You can’t walk away from here and NOT want to start a business.” Yes! That’s what we’re all about. Making your big ideas happen.
Here’s a quick rundown of the program yesterday:
- Monica Rogati, the VP of Data at Jawbone kicked off the morning with her keynote on how to build products for data natives. She reminded us that data products are first and foremost for people to create personalized experiences.
- Freada Kapor Klein, Natalia Oberti Noguera and Christine Tsai dug into how to bring more diversity to tech. They pushed us to have hard conversations so we can be a part of changing what a successful role model in tech looks like.
- Sarah Allen led Clare Corthell, Elena Grewal & Anita Lillie in a discussion about how to take data science into the real world. A key takeaway: If you’re a data scientist, a lot of your colleagues or peers might not understand exactly what your team does, so be sure to communicate to them how you can help them.
- In our lunch opening, Andrea Soto, the Chief of Staff to President of Operations & Technology at MasterCard chatted with Vivek Wadhwa, author of “Innovating Women.” They talked about how break down the tech boys’ club barrier: Get together with other women (and men!) and build your own companies.
- Our Day 2 PITCH finalists were amazing! Donde, Ziggeo, Scrumpt, YURU and HitList pitched our VC judges on how to quickly find a dress, how to record video, how to pack kids lunches, how to get advice and how to travel more for less.
- Our PITCH coordinator Dana Rosenberg led an awesome and inspirational Q&A with Bea Arthur on how to get from here to there. Bea is the CEO and founder of an early-stage startup that pitched on our stage last February and told us to look for people who believe in your vision and want to invest in YOU as much as your product.
- In our growth hacking panel led by Erin Turner, Josh Elman, Laura Klein, Ada Chen Rekhi and Sara Haider gave us some practical tips about how to grow your user base. A great way to find golden nuggets of insight? Talk to people who used your product and left and ask them why.
- In her inspiring keynote jam-packed with great tips, Yahoo CMO Kathy Savitt taught us some lessons she’s learned on how to thrive in entrepreneurship, business and life. Hint: Sleep is very important!
- To close out the end of HowTo, we announced our People’s Choice and Grand Prize Winner for our PITCH competition. Congratulations to winner WiseBanyan for making investing easy and affordable and to People’s Choice winner Hitlist for streamlining the tedious ticket search process so we can travel more!