The Founder Institute Seeks Female Founders, Offers Fellowships
Founder Institute’s Female Founder Fellowship program increased 30% female graduates globally.
By Jonathan Greechan (Partner, The Founder Institute)
Last year, we unveiled a new program – Female Founder Fellowship (FFF) – in an effort to grow the number of female technology founders by providing free course fees for our best female applicants.
At the time, 16% of our graduates were female, and our stated goal was to double that number and ultimately graduate 175 female-led companies a year.
The FFF program helped spur a 30% increase in female graduates globally in just a few months time.
We have now graduated over 100 female founders, which account for about 22% of our total. This is roughly twice as high as most other incubators, but still short of our goal to get over 30% female graduates.
Female graduates of the Founder Institute include:
- Rebecca Woodcock (Founder, Cake Health) - Silicon Valley Founder Institute
- Maya Bisineer (Founder, Memetales) - Seattle Founder Institute
- Oza Klanjsek (Founder, Zebraminds) - Denver Founder Institute
- Adriana Herrera (Founder, Fashioning Change) - San Diego Founder Institute
- Liz Carlson (Founder, In The Door) - Silicon Valley Founder Institute
- Priya Sheth (Founder, BeScrappy - San Francisco Founder Institute
- Andrea Lo (Founder, Piggybackr - San Francisco Founder Institute
- Steffany Boldrini (Founder, Ecobold) - Silicon Valley Founder Institute
- Valerie Coffman (Founder, Feastie) - DC Founder Institute
- Joanne Chen (Founder, Learning Yard) - Silicon Valley Founder Institute
- Maria Ly (Founder, Skimble) - Silicon Valley Founder Institute
- Stacey Arbetter (Founder, Exim Flow) - Boston Founder Institute
The Female Founder Fellowship Program subsidizes the course fees for the most extraordinary female applicant for all upcoming Founder Institute semesters. Any female who applies to one of these semesters (including those who have applied already) is automatically eligible.
Applications deadlines are now approaching in many cities across the globe.
Editor’s note: Got a question for our guest blogger? Leave a message in the comments below.
About the guest blogger: Jonathan Greechan is a Partner at The Founder Institute, a global network of startups and mentors launching hundreds of companies per year in over 20 locations worldwide. He is also a Partner at TheFunded, the web’s leading online community of technology entrepreneurs to share fundraising advice, and produces the Founder Showcase, a quarterly startup pitch and networking event in Silicon Valley. Throughout his career he has advised hundreds of startups on marketing and PR. Follow him on Twitter at @jonnystartup.