Notes From CEO Joanne Lang: Presenting At Founder Friday
By Joanne Lang (Founder & CEO, AboutOne)
A couple of weeks ago I received an email from a friend Ellie Cachette, CEO of ConsumerBell (one of AboutOne’s strategic partners) asking me if I was interested in being a presenter at the Women 2.0 Founder Friday in New York. I am very proud to be a member of Women 2.0 and the work they do, so I changed my schedule to be there.
Women 2.0 hosted six global Founder Friday networking mixers for women entrepreneurs and their friends on Friday, February 3, 2012 in San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Los Angeles, New York City, Madrid and Barcelona.
Each of the four presenters spoke for three minutes.
- Amanda Steinberg (Founder & CEO, DailyWorth) presented the top 20 reasons she received funding.
- I talked about why I founded AboutOne, including my belief in the power of persistence and advice that women should not let their biggest failure in life be to have not aimed high enough.
- Anu Duggal (Co-Founder, Exclusively.In) revealed her lessons learned while running a company in multiple countries and the one statement that helped her receive funding.
- The final presenter was Kai Freeman (Co-Founder, House of Mikko), who discussed her tips and tricks on confidence and persistence, ending the presentations with humorous insights.
After brief presentations, we spent the rest of the evening networking with amazing Founder Friday attendees.
Just a few of the exciting companies and women I met:
- Ellen Badinelli, from ScanAVERT, a barscanning solution that helps you understand ingredients in medications & compatible substitutes
- Ameeta Sharma, from Kidsvite, a site for the best local events for kids and family, they started in New York
- Caroline Fernandes, from PrixFixeNY, a site that gives you menus and pricing for local restaurants
- Tracy Osborn, founder of WeddingLovely, a site that assists you with the wedding planning process
- Caryn Effron, founder of GoGirlFinance
- Kimberly Weisul, Editor of OneThingNew, a site the promises to e-mail you all of the cool news/recipes/books that you didn’t know you were missing
- Elena Alexseeva, from PhotoHand, a site that offers affordable photo editing
The event in New York was hosted by Makovsky and Company, the PR agency for Women 2.0. The event started at 6pm with around 150 attendees enjoying networking with wine and a buffet.
Be sure to visit Women 2.0 for more interesting updates on women founding startups!
This post was originally posted at AboutOne’s blog: “Notes From The CEO”.
About the guest blogger: Joanne Lang is the Founder and CEO of AboutOne, an online organizer that not only replaces the file cabinets, notebooks, and various tools that families use to store household information, but also saves time by automatically organizing that information so it’s useful and readily available. She is a former software company executive specializing in cloud technology. Follow her on Twitter at @AboutOneCEO.